Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Support Matthew Johns groups? No thanks facebook.

Once again a (former) rugby league player has made national headlines. Of course for notoriety. Cause face it, if it was something good, would it being making headline news? I doubt it.

What shocks me however is the support being shown for Matthew Johns latest scandal. I doubt I will have to explain it, as it's been all over the news. But facebook groups stating to support Matthew Johns and expressing outrage at his dismissal from The Footy Show? I think not.
This man has done nothing to deserve our support. So he confessed to his part in these allegations? So what? That doesn't make him a hero last time I checked. It's him saving face, before the situation gets even messier.

At least he was man enough to own up for his part in the sex scandal I'll give him that. But that doesn't mean he deserves our support, or that we should sympathise and feel sorry for him. Either way, he was in the wrong.
While he may have not been present when the other men went to have sex with that woman, while he may have been oblivious to this, and just because the woman may was willing to sleep with him, there is one fact that just sticks out to me - call me crazy but I still think it is absolutely wrong what this MARRIED man did.

These football 'stars' that make headlines so often do NOT deserve our support. They do not deserve to be tagged as role models. Because since when did so called role models, or people we expect the younger generation to look up to become ugly men, who lack intelligence, who have some skill at throwing a footy around and who more often than not get drunk and get caught up in some new sex scandal?

Remember the days when news about NRL was focused on the game played? Focused on the skilled players, the ones that deserve recognition? Sure this latest sex scandal will fade, the game will bounce back. But really how long until another controversy related to alcohol, sex or drugs makes headlines? My guess is it won't be long at all. And maybe one day the public will learn, not to idolise these so called role models.

No comments:

Post a Comment