Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two songs;

Ever heard a song, one you can never get sick of, one that reaches down right into you, makes you want to cry or laugh, makes you feel happy, makes you feel complete, gives something purpose, or just for that simple 4 minutes, you cannot focus on anything else but that song/music flowing through your veins?

It may sound weird, but this is the effect I have on me when I listen to two certain songs.


1) Strings - The Getaway Plan

As soon as I hear Matthews vocals on the opening 'Draw these strings tight' there is no point in talking to me. I am completely lost within myself. Every chord, every lyric, every vocal I am in a transfixed daze as I listen to it. Sometimes I want to cry. Sometimes I just want to play it so loud so that the whole world can hear it. I sit and wait for the climax of the song, listening to it build up. (Okay I realise now it sounds like I'm talking about sex. But yes my ears do orgasm)
My favourite line 'Words exploding just like poems, carve them in stone so that our love can't be torn apart'
Then that slight pause before Matthews vocals burst out with 'And I...will wait...for nothing...for you' reaches right down inside me, like it's touching my soul. I know how completely ridiculous this could sound, but it's the effect this song has on me. For that 4 minutes, I am not thinking of any life dramas, of anyone, of anything, but the sheer brilliance of the song. Sometimes when it finishes I play it again, just to have another 4 minutes of being completely lost within the music, so that the rest of the world fades away.

2) Famous Last Words - My Chemical Romance

What this song does to me is slightly different. It has more meaning to my life. I remember one day, age 16/17 just being so absolutely desparate. I had no idea who I was, where I was going. Dragging myself out of bed was almost too much effort. Life was shit so to say.
One day I snapped myself out of it. Then another day, not to long after I got myself together I listened to this song. Sure I had heard it before, but I had never really listened. This time I really listened. The defiance in the song, the passion and the strong message and anthem of 'I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone' became my motto and lifted me up. Everytime from then on, when I've felt annoyed, pissed off, scared, angry with life, I blast this song, and for some reason it clears my head, and gives me direction. Not only that, it energises me again. By the end of the song, I feel I can take on the world and win. From then on, Famous Last Words, and the lyrics and message behind the song has been my life motto.

I understand to some, who aren't as passionate about music and what it can give us are going to find this a) Stupid or b) hard to understand.
But the one thing I love about music, is what else it can give some of us. Sure it's easy just to listen to a song and enjoy it. But when you REALLY listen to a song, it can bring out so much more. Love, hope, passion, awe, hidden messsages and strength.

So at the end of the day, no matter how tough life gets, I have music to get me through. And especially these two songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment